- Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 1
- Level: easy
When you’re needing some carbs and protein and a kick to the system these sausages and eggs are just the ticket.
What you need
1 or 2 eggs, cooked as you like
1 or 2 sausages (leftover sausages are good, even leftover salami)
1 cup chicken stock
1 small shallot chopped
1 tsp tomato puree
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 – 1 tsp smoked ‘hot’ Spanish paprika
A few herbs such as thyme, bay, oregano and rosemary (optional)
1/2 tsp sherry vinegar or other vinegar – or squeeze of lemon
Butter and salt and pepper
Small bunch fresh chopped chives
How Dad Cooked It
Eggs in a spicy broth. The idea came from trying to make an ordinary sausage taste like a chorizo. In fact this is better than chorizo with eggs – it’s milder and easier on the stomach but still has the kick of smoked paprika and chilli. The dish really needs some chicken stock – if you don’t have fresh stock use a can of chicken consomme or a stock cube.
- Put the shallot in pan with the stock and bring to a simmer, add the herbs if using and the tomato paste and sugar. Simmer whilst the sausages are cooking – it should reduce to about half a cup.
- Fry the sausages until done or nearly done. Cut the sausages into chunks and fry again to lightly colour.
- Drain the fat from the sausage pan and strain the stock into the pan. Add the paprika to taste and the vinegar. Let the liquid simmer and reduce a little.
- Fry the egg in some butter and toast some bread.
- Put the egg on a plate and add the sausages and broth. Add chopped chives and serve with toast. Season to taste.