Artichoke Pesto with Orecchiette
- Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Level: easy
What you need
300g – 400g orecchiette (depending on appetite)
1 x 280g jar artichoke slices
1 x 280g jar artichoke hearts
180g frozen baby broad beans
70g pumpkin seeds
2 shallots chopped
2 cloves garlic minced or chopped
45g grated Parmesan cheese
250ml chicken stock
Fresh basil to garnish
How Dad Cooked It
- Cook the pasta. Follow the instruction on the pack and cook until al dente. Reserve a cup of the cooking liquid.
- Cook the broad beans. Boil the bean until tender. Use small broad beans and leave the skins on.
- Drain the artichokes. Drain the hearts and slices separately.
- Fry the shallot and garlic and pepper. Fry in light olive oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan on a medium high heat until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Prepare the pumpkin seeds. Put the seeds into a non-stick pan without oil. Fry on medium high heat until they start to pop. Take off the heat and add to the sauce pan.
- Finish the sauce. Add the drained artichoke slices to the sauce pan add the chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Blend using a stick blender or cool slightly and transfer to an upright blender. Blend until there is a fairly thick sauce consistency, with a slightly rough texture. Return to the pan and heat, adding the Parmesan, chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Check the seasoning and adjust.
- Serve. Slice the artichoke hearts in quarters. Toss together the orechiette, the sauce and artichoke quarters. Garnish with extra parmesan and basil. Serve with a salad.